Davis Funerals was founded in the 1930s by Mr Norman Davis, who named the business N.C. Davis Ltd. Mr Davis owned the company until 1948, directing 80 funerals per year. It was at this point that Cliff Little, who was from a family funeral business established in 1875 purchased the company. After joining the family business in 1940, Cliff had decided to forge his own path in the funeral industry and with this purchase broke away from the original family business. Cliff believed that a better standard of service could be offered to families, than what they were receiving and so began the era of Davis Funeral Homes.
Cliff installed exceptionally high standards into the ethos of Davis, something which the company still prides itself on today. In 1956 Cliff’s son Cedric joined the business and in 1979 they opened a second branch in the Pakuranga area of Auckland, in the beautiful Tyrone Villa
By the 1980s Davis had become a household name in Auckland for delivering high-quality funerals and in 1988 and 1991 Neil and Craig Little joined the business continuing the family legacy. In 1990 Davis opened the Grange Manor facility, which today houses the head offices for Davis and operates as the central branch servicing all other locations Davis has.
The next expansion was into West Auckland. In 1998 Davis opened it’s Henderson location which is still considered one of the best funeral venues in Auckland. Inspired by Tuscan wineries, it has a beautiful double volume chapel and on-site crematorium. In 2014 Davis purchased Troup Funeral Home in South Auckland. In 2016 a year prior to joining Propel Funeral Partners, Davis opened its Kohimarama location, bringing the total branches for Davis to 5.